Paintsville is the county seat of Johnson County and is rich in the coal mining history of the region. The first Coal Baron of Kentucky made his home here, which is now Our Lady of the Mountains School. A drive through Paintsville revives memories of days past with 18 National Historic Register buildings within the city limits.
Some of these buildings are still serving both the private sector and community. The Police Station, the Paintsville Golf Course Country Club, and the City School Board are all located in buildings built by Roosevelt’s WPA programs.
Paintsville was established in 1834, and became the county seat in 1844, when Johnson County was created. It wasn’t until 1860 on the eve of the Civil War that Paintsville started to expand and overflow toward the hills. Currently the city is home to more than 5,300 people. Paintsville is located in the heart of Eastern Kentucky (62 miles south of Ashland, Kentucky; 124 miles east of Lexington, Kentucky; and 103 miles southwest of Huntington, West Virginia) making this community attractive for economic development opportunities and weekend visitors. The town is served directly by the Mountain Parkway, US Hwy 23, and Kentucky Highways 321 and 460, making Paintsville easily accessible to all travelers.